Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Moov or Iodex?

My decisions taken on impulse seldom let me down. I've already been to Khardungla the last time I was here so visiting the pass again wasn't really on my to do list. For those that don't know Khardungla is at 18300ft while Leh resides at around 11300ft. So if I had to visit the pass it had to be done different. So thanks to a pal I registered for bicycle ride from Khardungla to Leh an hour before the troupe was scheduled to leave. 1 American, 2 Brits, 1 Spaniard and the 2 Indians signed up. A mini Tour de France en Inde was on the cards. Riding up the ~40km we were getting and idea about how crappy the road was and the gradient was pretty scary. Regardless we reached the pass, downed some maggi and got on the bikes.

Fuckinggg shit! What was I doing?

Haven't ridden a bike since ages and didn't come prepared with the right gear either. But now it was too late. The women in the troupe started peddling and I just couldn't back out now. I swear i felt someone pushing me... or maybe that what they call male ego ... hmmm let me get back on that one.

The first few kms were just slushy. I got wet mud all over me and my shoes got drenched too. But hey I was getting the hang of this. Slowly I remembered how to ride the damn thing and avoid the sharp stinging pain up my ass when it went over those rocks. The last 10 odd kms were the best roads and the bike zipped through the breeze as if I were a part of the peleton. The guess here is it would be moving at a speed of 40-45kmph. No proof but hell I'll punch you if you disagree.

I reached the city in 1:45mins with a 10min stop at south kullu waiting for the 3 behind me. The front 2 were too good to even spot after the first km. No yellow jersey for me.. but who cares I survived. All said and done I live to brag another day.

But the big question now is moov or iodex pour la derrière? ;)

No comments: