Friday, April 01, 2016

So how was it overall

I won't make big claims on this experience. What I felt is something personal. And every volunteer that I interacted with felt it was worth their time to say the least. Oh yes there were people who showed up for a day and disappeared too. To each their own.
Yes the facilities are basic and many westerners were surprised that we had to wash clothes manually or the fact that you don't get gloves and usually bring them yourself if you need them etc etc. But if you take a look at these places they are very well maintained, extremely clean and hygienic. The food provided was always plentiful and included a healthy accompaniment or some fish/meat at least once a week. Just step out of the premises and you see and smell the alternative of the life many of these people faced on the street and what the sisters provide is a 100x improvement over that.
There is no religious angle to the work being done here. Greater than 95% of the men here were non Christians. Yes there are pictures of Christ and Mary all over the place but no one was forced to the chapel or any other Christian practice. There is a prayer before meals in Bengali that everyone recited together. I actually only met on Christian patient during my time here.
I was fortunately not the only Indian. There was a student from Kol who was volunteering too. And there were a few NRIs. But I've been told its usually all foreigners. Maybe it is because this is a Christian organization. I hope that non Christians are also volunteering at other places. I would definitely add this as a thing to do along with travelling. It will give you a very different perspective on your life and how privileged you are.
At the very least these few days have broadened my understanding of a few more things on life. How much and in what way can only be measured by my actions in the rest of my existence.

No comments: