Thursday, August 25, 2011

Backpacking to... [Day 5]

Tatkal screws me over: 3AC middle berth need I say more? To make things worse I am next to the door and have no way to save my feet being knocked on by each and every person all through the night. After exactly 2 hours of sleep I spent the rest of the journey at the exit enjoying the gorgeous landscape. Fields lush green with crop thanks to a good monsoon. These Morning views just blow your mind.

Varanasi 12:00pm: delayed by 1.5hrs. Last minute change of plans and decide to go to a different guest house coz it seemed closer to the center of town. Am left at a junction from where I am told i have to walk. And now i know why. Welcome to Varanasi the city of lanes, bylanes and alleyways. Some deviously disguised as something similar to a house entrance. Barely enough space for two people to walk shoulder to shoulder but in true desi style bikes zoom around and cows stroll by while you hang on. 1Hr gone by and am still searching. While I did ask for directions all along I only now realize that I should've asked for them at every corner. Locals consider a couple of left or right turns a part of a "straight" road. 1.5Hrs later I reach the guesthouse. Exhausted but starving. Remember I was in a train and not having dinner is the best way to avoid the scary airy loo. 30Mins break and I plunge myself back into the labyrinth will all the determination to get some food. Maybe I'll have better luck following the cows out of here.

45 Mibs and am onto a road. Halved my time, yaay;! Tried out the bhojan at keshariya. Was nice but a local vendor's lassi rocked. Kullar lassi with thick dollop of malaai and topped with kesar, pista and badam shavings. Just what the doc ordered.

Bad news: the river had risen pretty high. The evening poojas which are said to be a sight will happen on the temple balcony instead of the steps, those are completely under water. So no morning boat ride on the Ganga either. Sucks.

Day4|Day3|Day2

No comments: