Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Backpacking to... [Day 3]

The train ride was awesome. I was back in a long distance train after a really long time. And not much has changed. The toilets were still as "airy" as before and the berths couldn't accommodate the taller me. The food  though has seriously deteriorated. And boy does the thing shake. I never realized it shook sideways as much as it did.

Reached Jhansi at 2.50, spot on time and luckily found a friendly rickshaw driver who guided me to the bus stop across town. The first bus to Khajuraho is supposedly at 5am but a bus was heading to Chatrapur, some 60kms from Khajuraho, right as I got there so I jumped in. Packed to the brim there was just one butt cheek's worth of space left and I parked mine. Did I mention smoking was allowed on this bus? And boy did all the uncles light them up. So early morning beedies and second hand smoke on the ride. Survived somehow and reached Chatrapur at 6am. Had some tea and got on the 7am bus to Khajuraho.

8:15am Khajuraho. The place is a small village town dotted with a lot of hotels. Headed to Jain temples road to pick a room. The place was blistering hot even this early in the morning so I just walked into the Lonely Planet's pick and took the first room offered.
First order of business... Cold shower.

On my way here I found out that there are trains to Varanasi but on alternate nights, of course not tonite. So I am at Khajuraho for the next couple of days. The sursundaris have my undivided attention.

No comments: