Monday, December 27, 2010

Travel me wild


It's not the journey, but the destination.

Who says you can't enjoy both. Just returned from a short trip as a part of the Skoda Yeti Right of Way Expedition. I along with another duo were selected to join the leg at Dessert National Park, right off of Jaisalmer. The organizing teams had done an awesome job in every aspect to ensure that everything was in place... Other than an early morning ride along the Samjhauta express route there were no hiccups sighted. Anything to improve neighborly relations I say. That out of the way we were brought back to our senses and the national park with some awesome eagle sightings around us. Having renowned wildlife photographer Nayan Khanolkar along with us definitely helped us learn more about all the wings we saw. Our various visits were coupled with some off-roading with the Yeti and the little package showed off its beast of an engine each time. Sly little package.

However, the presence of the two superstars I was teamed up with was what everything was about. What a difference some good company with receptive minds can make! Two cheerful "adults" who seemed to have just got the "get out of jail free - for 3 days only" card. And boy did the convicts play havoc. The conversations started mildly with a flurry of jokes, vegetarian only of course :), and covered topics like spirituality, sexuality, frozen exit points in the body from the early morning chills and a variety of camel talk. A well rounded conversation if I've ever had one? (I just hope none of it got documented in any format)

Not many pics of the trip with me. Will upload the few I have soon anyways. The NatGeo team took some snippets of me with yellow aviator shades on and a few with a camel. My best guess is that the videographer wanted to fill up some slots in "Laughter Video Challenge" or "India's Funniest Home Videos" sometime soon. You could extort money out of me to get those back man! lol!

So now after Jet airways took my boarding pass and handed me my "go straight to jail" card am back in civilization. When I sit here trying to put this down to words I remember another quote that brilliantly sums up this trip

A journey is best measured in friends rather than in miles

This one cranked up the odometer to all 9's!


No comments: