Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Wah Taj!

It took me by suprise to learn that the Taj Mahal had completed its 350 year anniversary today. Having stood past three and a half centuries is no mean task and that too with such glory and splendor. The Taj Mahal has always been a source of inspiration towards love, workmanship/skills, dedication, hard work and gardiosity. Standing tall with those four magnificent pillars and the vast lawns springing in front of it makes the scene just perfect. But all said and done I feel ashamed at myself because I havent visited the place as yet. There is a long list of sites that I would love to go to but well have never done so yet.
1. Taj Mahal
2. Wagh Border
3. Kashmir and especially the Dal Lake there
and the list goes on. Just this weekend there was an excellent supplement on the temples of TamilNadu, the temple of a 1000 pillars and some sites made with special surfaces and one temple right on the coast and so much more. I can claim to have travelled and seen a lot of the west but I havent managed to see much of India as yet, leave the holiday spots.

Many of us would fall in the same category and I hope we can correct this. I was reading a wonderful book which gave a lot of Indian fables and though I could recognize some of them I couldnt claim to have read those books or their sources. Sad isnt it. Today many of us are more well versed in American history than Indian history. We know who the secretary of state for the US currently is but has little or no clue about the Home Minister or even the local Governor. Our history is precious and we need to learn more about it to appreciate it all the more. Only then will we realize that India is not as backward as people make it out to be.

No comments: