Saturday, March 03, 2007

Who is this "aam aadmi" ?

( aam aadmi is desi parlance for the common man)

Come elections or come budget time there is all this blabber by these politicians about how the "
aam aadmi" is being given special focus and how all the policies and decisions being made are so good for him/her. My question to these nuts is who the fuck is this aam aadmi?

I am a middle class salaried citizen of this country. We as a class contribute the largest towards the GDP via direct and many a times indirect taxes being levied on us. We often face the brunt of reforms and market adjustments, of changing governments and re-elections, of bad policy decisions and illiterate ministers. If anything needs to be solved its the middle classes are made the scapegoat.

Now I am not questioning the contribution and the existence of the impoverished classes of Indian society. But how come I (read middle class salaried employee) am never considered for during the budgets or elections. Why am I not taken into account as as being a victim in certain cases.

Why aren't there any special sops for me once in a while. Is there no benefit of being a law-abiding tax-paying citizen here? I don't get the respect of the law-makers or the help of the law-enforcers. I need to be in long queues everywhere and travel by the overcrowded public transport. My cooking gas bills are consistently increasing and electricity bills cant even be questioned. I am enjoying low telephone and broadband bills but I cant seem to ever afford a good car and even if I can I am scared of the unstable fuel prices, paltry roads and the maniacs driving on them.

Nowadays even when I take a so called low-budget airline flight I pay a surcharge on the ticket that's even more costlier than the damn ticket itself, as a landing tax, fuck just keep me in the air and give me a parachute.

So even if I don't qualify as an "aam aadmi" please stop fucking my life up and give me some respect. I think I've paid my taxes towards earning some of that.

read I/we as middle class, law abiding, tax paying citizens
the colours are intentionally upside down... symbolic to the topsy-turvy state of affairs

1 comment:

Maven said...

spot on dude! itz always we who get screwed!!