Thursday, March 16, 2006

Back to Mangalore

Desi Fun(da) ... and more.

Well the previous weekend was super. I went back to Mangalore with my mom (came over from Mumbai). After my previous trip in September 2004 this is the first time I went back there. Shameful I agree.

I left from Bangalore at around 10 Friday night and reached Mangalore city by around 6 am. I didn't want to wake up my cousin with whom we had planned to stay so I chilled at the bus stop and had some hot tea. Then I went over to their house by 7.30 and had a good breakfast. Mom came over by around 4. Was good to see her especially since I didn't get a chance to meet her after her minor operation on the thumb. But yeah all was well. My cousin's kids Freya and Riya had gotten a bit more free-er with me since the morning and we were just playing and talking kid-talk all evening.

The next day ie Sunday we decided to start the flying visits again. Started off by leaving Mangalore by 2pm and then reached Udupi and met with Eric uncle and family. Then from there to my aunts house followed by another aunt and then finally reaching my godparent's house late in the evening. He as usual was happy to see us and all excited too. Its always good to meet him and this time was even better as he announced that his elder daughter may get married in dec/jan. Still remember his kids being so shy and small whenever they came over to our house. Just reminded me that I am getting old and well also reminded me of that someone, who's name must not be taken, and who doesn't even pass a smile my way by mistake. I dont have any guts in that department sorry.

Well we had a sumptuous meal followed by gossiping between the cousins (our parents) on all families and ended up getting to bed late at 1 am. Then the next day we visited the other cousins who stay in adjoining houses and made a beeline for kinnigoli. Again on the fast track we visited my cousin Tona and family and Uncle Pinto and even got a chance to drop by at Lawrence's house and garage. Was good to see him after a long long time. Ofcourse most importantly we met up with my uncle and his wife and my grandmother, who all of 97 is become frail now and her movements are restricted to one room. Thanks to uncle they are managing with her care. God bless her and god bless them. I don't know what else can I do.

We came back by afternoon and then later went on to see some nearby areas in the evening and met another uncle. Saw some wonderful locations in Mangalore and was really wanting to stay back. Well the wonderful Manglorean girls could easily add to the arrows in my already pierced heart but well thankfully I didn't get a chance to venture into that territory.

Only downside of the trip was that I did not get a chance to taste the toddy/sur this time round. Well waiting makes the heart grow fonder they say. This wait is killing me along with the other wait.

Thanks Lani and Fancy for another memorable stay at my favourite place in the whole world.

No comments: